images www.cocokelley.com

Saturday 4 August 2012

Something blue!

You can create a beautiful table setting on a budget!

I have never been a big fan of blue in decor. Not for any particular reason other than it did not go with much of what I already had. However as I introduce more of it into my home I'm becoming addicted. The Blue Willow Broadhurst china in our cabinet from my mother-in-law inspired me. I had always admired this China in homes of my childhood friends, especially Emma's house, in my early teens her mum would put on High Tea after school and we would sip tea and scones on this beautiful old blue and white china. 
Broadburst China in cabinet and Johnson Bros on table

When Annie, my mother-in-law gave us this table, cabinet and china I was a bit at a loss as to what to do with it. I always admired them but had no idea how I would use them in my own home. My dining style is more on the French Country side...but when someone offers you such beautiful things...you make it work!
 So I set out on a mission to work out how I could blend my love of French Country with these pieces.
 My sister donated 4 old dark wood dining chairs that I hand sanded back to bare wood to give them the distressed French Country look.
With an active 3yrs old boy, the Broadhurst china was not safe displayed on the table. So then I had to fake it !! The Johnson Bros plates were on sale at the Waterford, Wedgwood, Royal Doulton Factory Outlet at Brandsmart. ..prepare yourself...for $3.95 and $5 a piece.
Table set with the original Blue Willow Broadhurst bowls
 The centre piece, a tin pot is from Provincial Home Living, I have a stack of these with various things in them all over the house. Originally I used them in my bathroom for storage..they looked very rustic! The Blue Willow print place mats and coasters are also from Provincial Home Living


The cream runner is from Ikea and the large candle sticks I bought from a beautiful (now sadly gone) iconic Blackburn store call The Bellbird (they only cost around $12.95). The tiny little squirrels on the silver tray (which my son has not yet discovered) are name card holders that I got from a store in Reston, Washington. The flowers (from my garden) are in tiny crystal bowls (which you can pick up for a few dollars at an Op shop) and the candle stick on the end is from GoLo for $2.  
With Halloween just around the corner my little pumpkins are getting me into the spirit...pardon the pun!

1 comment: